Saturday, February 28, 2009

When All Goes Well In The Land Of Cyber Technology

In response to the educator’s blog, The Fishbowl, I too was excited by the level and diversity of technology used in the conference.

There are both pros and cons associated with such sophisticated use of technology, nevertheless. If all the technology is working well, there is no problem with technological compatibility, and all participants are proficient with its use, then it can be a very empowering approach to learning. If one or more of these factors proves problematic, however, the learning experience can have the opposite effect, i.e., it can be both frustrating and disempowering. This is why we have to ensure that our students and especially our staff are proficient in the use of this technology and that we have reliable and ongoing access to competent experts in digital technology itself.

When all is well, there are so many pluses to using such technology. For example, it allows for more extensive sharing of knowledge. It is also very interactive and flexible as well as creative and enjoyable for its users, i.e., the educators, students, and other participants. Moreover, it is able to increase the type of knowledge shared including, for instance, the wisdom of Elders and all sorts of traditional Indigenous knowledge.

Well all fails, there is nothing wrong with good old fashion face-to-face communication; it has worked marvelously for Indigenous peoples for thousands of years.

3 comments:

  1. Just if you're insterested in the hinderances to technology idea, I posted an article on my blog that you might want to take a look at. It's a little old (2004) but some of the #'s kind of surprised me. Are some of the things still the same now? I kind of wonder about that. Just a thought. darcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene says "When all fails, there is nothing wrong with good old fashion face-to-face communication; it has worked marvelously for Indigenous peoples for thousands of years." I am not sure what others class as technology, but in the life skills program there are many types of technological devices. This morning I dismantled a washing machine to unplug the pump (what a mess), figured out why a laptop was not charging, and searched for forms on the division website. Amazingly the washer and computer are now working, but the forms now require an Email to be sent to the division for retrieval. An extra step that was not necessary in the past. I think technology is a wonderful tool, but we need to use it to create efficiency by cutting out those extra steps. I am thankful I read your blog today and I agree, "there is nothing wrong with good old face-to-face communication," because the best part of my day was spent talking, cheering and laughing with a group of 65 students during the schools winter festival events. I agree human contact is wonderful and necessary if we are to remain balanced. Thanks for the insightful words. Take Care Pam P.s. See the link to a Four Directions website I have posted in my blog. Think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too always think there is a tension between techonological communication and face-to face communication. We are struggling how we communicate within a large division and so we are trying some virtual meetings and visits. I'm beginning to see the value in it for some purposes, but I tend to agree that soemhow there is nothing like face to face to truly develop relationships. That thinking is cometimes challenged when I see those who are truly connected online and talk regularly. They do seem to have a relationship. I haven't yet been that connected so I don't know how it really compares. I don't think I can completely discount it though.

    ReplyDelete