Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Personal Experiences of Using Web 2.0. Tools.

I have been following the blogs throughout this course and each time I go through all the blogs, I am amazed at all the creativity, knowledge, gifts and talents in my classmates. I am truly thankful for the knowledge that each of you shares and it helps me grow in technology. It creates in me the desire to explore more and lastly, it challenges me to use more Web 2.0. tools in the classroom.

In the past three weeks, I felt that I was very challenged and at one time, reached my breaking point when it came to exploring the Web 2.0. tools. It took me two days to create a movie and go through the whole procedure. I thought to myself, at this rate when will I ever become a movie producer. I even tried to hire a tutor and let her know that I would pay her a good hourly rate. She cancelled at the last minute; therefore, I had no choice but to do it myself with all the expertise of my classmates posting very useful information.

I forgot to mention that I am still married after all the time I have been spending on the computer. There have been many supperless nights and the laundry has finally reached its limit, “to the ceiling”. I did find out that when it comes to technology, I am more determined than I ever thought. I just refused to give up!

I enjoyed making my movie the most although it was the most challenging. I liked arranging the pictures and writing about them. I tried to do a digital storybook but the computer that I was using asked me to buy it after I was done making the storybook. I inquired about why I could not download it to my blog and found out that I am supposed to buy the program that makes digital books. I am planning to buy this program and use it with my Kindergartens to enhance their literacy skills. I think they will find reading and writing to be more fun if it relates to them and their personal experiences.

I enjoyed going on YouTube the most! I found such wonderful music and videos. I also joined Twitter and I am still getting comfortable with it. I have to remember prior to this, I never went on bebo, facebook, and ordered anything on line. My husband is getting worried because I mentioned that I could start buying things on line using kijiji and eBay. The old visa will be just smoking!

I am still planning on using a voice thread and uploading a digital storybook on my blog in the next week. I feel that I still need to learn so much more but will take more time than just three weeks to do so.

I am finding the responding to blogs a bit challenging. I go through them, read them daily, and just really enjoy what I am reading. I need to take the time to respond and let people know how much I enjoy what they have to say!

I will be working on my project starting Monday and I am looking forward to it. I find that I am more confident and look forward to the challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Arlene,

    I really am glad you overcame your frustration and persevered to learn more about the tools. I think it is going to take a life time of learning to really understand the power of web 2.0. My thought on this is I still need to move, eat, laugh and enjoy life, so I am prepared to take my time (After I Graduate). Please hang in there and I can not wait to see you. The web is a tool, collaboration with others is where it is at and I have relied on my human network. It is amazing how people naturally want to help each other is it. Love your story Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Arlene, you are a busy lady. Re the laundry, it was once suggested by a former staff member that you can turn panties inside out & wear them again - lol! I'm doing the reading course on language with Val, very interesting & challenging. I have also been reading quite a few of the blogs that you guys are doing. Take care & don't melt the visa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arlene - There are so many positives in your story: determination, perseverance, and the power of community and collaboration. As you know from my sharing of my journey of learning, I understand the struggles you have faced. One of the greatest gifts I took away from that struggle was to understand how some learners feel every single day they go to school. I also learned that when I was struggling and I could not see a purpose for learning something, I put little effort and attention into it. For me, those "ah hah" moments helped me connect with learners in a different way - through a new lens.

    As far as the house stuff goes, I could write a novel on that topic! In fact, probably most women who have to juggle learning, family and work could contribute to the novel. I have come to embrace the big question..."Is this going to make a difference in a year?" This has allowed me to put my learning ahead of mundane tasks that I no longer take sole responsibility for in my house.

    ReplyDelete