Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Learning Beliefs

Examining the Foundation- Where Are You Now?



My present beliefs about how learning takes place is as follow. When there is interaction, respect, shared learning, and when you can be the person that you want to be, learning is at its best. All these elements of learning will produce self-confidence, a respect for another person’s beliefs, and an openness to learning from one another.

I firmly believe that teaching should embrace a participatory, appreciative, empowering, and community based learning approach. I find that this approach to learning is well suited to our community in that it is an inherent part of the Indigenous way of life in Canada. In the past, knowledge was passed down to Youth from Elders and other adults in the community. Learning was experiential, hands on, and relevant to the children’s lives and their communities.

My current uses of technology are very limited. It is only through the community-based master’s program that I am being exposed to all the creative things we can do to incorporate technology into our efforts to produce higher-level achievers. As I mentioned in other postings, the potential for students, parents and the community to communicate with each other and partake in our learning is going to be more effective as a result and will better suit the new generation of a technological society.

My beliefs are that we need to make students enjoy what they are learning and make learning appropriate for our culture. I believe that if we use technology to enhance communication with the parents, community and other professional learning communities we would have a broader range of opportunities for our children to learn. Our learners would be more exposed to community-based education that extends well beyond just opening up our classrooms to the community. It would truly enable the whole community and its learners to collaborate in the learning process. I would say in my community we are well on our way to expanding our boarders in regards to teaching with technology.

1 comment:

  1. Arlene states,"I believe that if we use technology to enhance communication with the parents, community and other professional learning communities we would have a broader range of opportunities for our children to learn." I am in the process of setting up a mini network of computers in my classroom so the students can plan, act, record, and reflect on their community-based educational program. I am constructing a Moodle (virtual classroom) so parents have a place to access their child's day to day learning at the touch of a button. A virtual life skills program with hyperlinked support services, 'hopefully' a picture journal of abilities, and life logs filled with social/communication strategies for each student to draw upon in a times of need. It will take time to develop, but I know I will be with them for at least five year. This class has inspired me, because I see how it can help me level the academic playing field for the students. Let me know what you think about my blog. Pam

    ReplyDelete