Saturday, January 31, 2009

Connecting My Learning

My participatory action research is raising the level of awareness in my community regarding the importance of literacy. Through this course, I have come to appreciate digital storytelling and the use of technology to share my Aboriginal ways of learning and knowing. Digital story telling, for example, is an extremely effective means of giving a voice to Indigenous peoples, especially our Elders, and extending our reach into the world in general.

By helping Indigenous educators to use technology, we have the ability to develop an appreciation of Indigenous as well as non- Indigenous ways of learning and the sources of this knowledge.


In learning more about constructivism and connectivism, I came across a related concept, which is axiology, i.e., “the study of the nature, types, and criteria of values and of value judgments especially in ethics” (Meeriam-Webster Online
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/axiology). This new concept is highly related to the concepts of epistemology and ontology and all three of these concepts are integrally related to Indigenous knowledge and ways of knowing and doing and the way I teach.

This course has not only reinforced my ways of teaching, but has enhanced my ability to learn and share knowledge interactively. Using technology significantly enhances the diversity of knowledge and sources of knowledge available to my learners, which adds to their ability to construct, especially co-construct knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. I am a passionate advocate of digital storytelling as well and you express it so beautifully when you say that technology “enhances the diversity of knowledge and sources of knowledge available to my learners, which adds to their ability to construct, especially co-construct knowledge.” In Rheda’s blog she shared a digital story about reserves from the perspective of those on the reserve. This form of expression is so valuable as it allows many different groups of learners to gain a new perspective. It provides individuals with a voice to speak up against further marginalization and misrepresentation. By giving learners, or as you mentioned the Elders, a voice through digital storytelling, their powerful narratives can be heard and shared in this digital age.

    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology has a wonderful way of connecting people, and I have noticed the way it equalizes the playing field for people with multiple disabilities. Your entree majestically provides me with hope when you state how technology, "enhances the diversity of knowledge available to my learners, which adds to their ability to construct and co-construct knowledge." Thanks for the inspiration. Pam

    ReplyDelete